Monday, March 7, 2011

A New Season

Mick Lally Memorial - 90km




Summerhill was the venue for the first outing of the 2011 season. In the week leading up to the race I wasn't entirely sure that I would take part in the race, I had just recovered from a sinus infection and felt that the demands of racing might be too much for my recovering body. As the race day approached a sense of giddy excitement got the better of sensible restraint and I kitted up for race number one.



The race was fast and furious from the off. An early break containing Mike Redden and Tighernach Murphy, both of South Dublin Cycling Club remained clear for most of the race. I was working hard in chase group behind which eventually made the catch with about 10km to go. Attack, counter-attack, attack again, the group dynamic changed often in the closing kilometers. The decisive move of the day came with about five kilometers remaining - Tim O Regan (Dectek) attacked and soloed to a superb victory. I had no legs for the uphill sprint and rolled home in 11th or 12th position.



Navan GP - 120km

A top class field lined up for the first big Sunday race of the season.
The lack of race conditioning ensured yesterdays efforts resulted in some residual fatigue for me in the opening kilometers. Albeit with heavy legs, I was active in the opening but conspired to miss the major move of the day which went clear about 20km's in.



Despite efforts a coherent chase group never established. The lack of ambition in the chase was frustrating at times but it was good to get the first 100+ kilometer race under my belt.

The race winner came from the break - Conor Murphy of Eurocycles.




Images property of irishcycling.com