Friday, March 18, 2011




In the past week I raced the Newbridge GP and St. Patricks Day race in Batterstown.
Both races were run on a handicap basis and on each occasion the initial advantage given to the A2 bunch was to prove decisive.



For years, as I came through the ranks, I was the beneficiary of the handicap system but now as an A1 I'm not really enjoying racing these events. There is almost a race within a race - first the A1 group must race to catch the bunch(s) ahead before the real racing can begin. There is something very artificial about the whole experience.

This weekend is the first 'classic' of the Irish road season - the Des Hanlon Memorial. The race is one hundred and fifty tough kilometers run over an undulating circuit in Co. Carlow so it should be the first real test of the season. Training has been going well so I am looking forward to it.