Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Simple Life (Part Two)

Stage 3 of the Ras was 171km into Oughteard.

At the time I wasn't sure whether I was having a bad day or the pace was just relentless. Having talked with friends since I now have come to believe that the pace was high. The day seemed like a never ending line-out which eventually broke me over the top of the last climb of the day. There is only so many times you can dig into your reserve, on the last occasion I went looking for something extra to take me over the summit of the hill but the well had run dry. Although I found the day hard I was beginning to enjoy this stage race thing. Stage racing has a different allure; a days performance is, to a certain extent, determined before the day even begins. Ones actions the day before play a significant role in performance on the day. The British Track squad famously based their success on the 'accumulation of marginal differences' and I believe that phrase is particularly applicable to stage racing. Recovery is the key. Ones recovery begins as soon as the stage ends. Recovery is comprised of a number of different elements, rest, nutrition and therapy (massage, ice-baths etc). All the riders were required to do was cycle the bike, all other needs were meet by the exceptional backroom team which UCD employed for the event. It was the simple life: eat, cycle, eat, massage, bed, repeat.