Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Back on Track

The National Track Championships are a little over two weeks away and the focus of my training has shifted slightly. My season is effectively split into two this year. The first half of my season is dominated with road action. The training emphasis always had an underlying endurance element with the majority of my training time spent in Zone 1 and Zone 2.

The second half of my season involves more track specific work on the fixed gear bike. The training duration will drop but intensity will increase. Sessions will typically involve multiple repeats for 3km pursuits just below race pace.

My body composition will never allow me to be a national champ in the sprint events - I simply do not have enough fast twitch muscle fibers. The focus of my training is on events 1km or longer. Events over 1km engage the aerobic system and tend to favor those from a road background.

This past weekend heralded my return to the track racing with the Sneem International Track meet in Sundrive. The race attracted a top class field with some of Ireland`s best on show. My emphasis was on the 10km Scratch race, which for those not familiar with track cycling is basically a road race around the track with the first one to the line declared winner. There are no intermediate sprints in this event. I rode a 48 front chain ring with a 14 sprocket on the back. I placed 4th behind John Lynch, Dave Peelo and Martin Irvine.

When I woke the next morning the lactic in my muscles was overwhelming. I have not experienced a stiffness and soreness in my muscles of this kind in a long time. Although a cursory glance at the physiological requirements for road cycling and track cycling would suggest they are similar that is far from the truth. The intensity of the track is rarely replicated on the road. The 10km Scratch race is raced at powers averaging in excess of 400 watts (I weigh 74kg) with frequent spikes in power.

Hopefully as I transition more towards the track as the end of the road season approaches the pain I now associate with track sessions will dissipate.