Monday, April 18, 2011

Time Trial



Last Thursday I made the trip up north for the opening round of the Dave Kane Time Trial League. I hadn't been on the time trial bike in months so had no idea what to expect. I knew my form was good but was unsure how the more aerodynamic time trial position would impact on my power output.

The course was 13.8km and not very technical but a welcome change from the standard 'British format' TT - up and down a motorway. I hate those TT's up and down the motorway, we would be as well off all sitting on a wattbike and seeing who had the highest power figures. The course had three corners and a few undulating sections.

It was a short race for such a long drive but it proved to be a fruitful evening. I started out hard and kept an average power of around 410 watts for the first 6km. My power died off slightly for the second half of the test. I averaged 402 watts for eighteen minutes seventeen seconds. I clocked the second fastest time. Twelve seconds behind my training partner, Colm Cassidy (Sports Active).




It was nice being back on the TT bike after a few months off it. I can't make it up to the Dave Kane League next week - I am traveling down to Kerry for the start of the Ras Mumhan stage race but I am looking forward to getting back up and pushing Colm Cassidy for the win next time.