Monday, August 9, 2010


As I wake on Monday morning I don’t even feel a touch of guilt about not getting out for a training spin and enjoying the rare August sunshine. The reason is simple – it was a tough weekends racing.

Saturday 7th August – Club Championships

The weekend started off with a feeling of panic. I was late for the Club Road Race Championships. A skipped breakfast and some broken speed limits later I arrived with five minutes to spare at the start line in Blessington. The course was an undulating one which took in some breath taking scenery around the lakes. As we raced through the picturesque landscape I made a mental note to spend more saddle time in the vicinity. My training routes lately seem to follow a very predictable pattern; the nature of the session dictates the route I take. The last few weeks I have been spending a lot of time on the first section of Howth Hill doing four minute pursuit intensity efforts (450-470 watts).

On the second ascent of a gradual climb I managed to distance myself from my UCD team mates and rode tempo to the finish to defend the UCD Road Race Title. New comer Robert Manning claimed a Silver medal with Niall Dwyer taking the Bronze.




Sunday 8th August - Swords GP

As I lay in bed on Sunday morning after a long, hard weeks training the thought of suffering six times up the Nags head did not appeal to me. I forced myself out of my warm bed – on time. Missing breakfast this morning would be a recipe for disaster as the race was scheduled to be 150km. A large bowl of bran flakes, a few muffins and some fruit ensured I was well stocked for the long day ahead.

The attacks went right from the gun; I made a couple of early moves which I thought had all the right faces to give them a chance of sticking but they weren’t to be. The decisive break did go on the first lap but I wasn’t apart of it.

The main bunch split on the second ascent of the Nags head; I made the split which consisted of about ten riders along with my team mate Ciaran O Conluain. The race was a war of attrition with plenty of riders dropping out each lap. In the end I finished in a group of three chasers forty seconds back on the lead break, in 9th position.